Thanks!
I defined a function, as you suggested, to call when the button was
clicked. But then I also had to use self.fileDialog from within the
function. Not sure how I could avoid using fileDialog.

I also defined global variable (under the class) and assigned it to the
filename, so I could access it from within the main class.

The following works:

 QtCore.QObject.connect(self.toolButton,
QtCore.SIGNAL(_fromUtf8("clicked()")), self.getFileName)

 def getFileName(self):
        self.fileDialog = QtGui.QFileDialog()
        path = self.fileDialog.getOpenFileName()
        print(" File Selected: ", path)
        self.lineEdit.setText(path)
        self.XmlFileName = path

Thanks.