On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Albert-Jan Roskam <fo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> am using Linux Mint XFCE. I have to look up the exact version number. I
> recently
> downloaded and installed Python 3.3. I downloaded the tarball
> and compiled, tested and installed everything as per instructions in the
> (readme? install?) file.

Building from the official source defaults to /usr/local as the prefix
directory, which doesn't interfere with the platform Python in /usr.
Did you configure with --prefix=/usr? Also, it defaults to using
_sysconfigdata for build_time_vars  -- not _sysconfigdata_m in the
platform subdirectory.  That's a Debian patch, which you can see in
the following diff:

http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/python3.3/python3.3_3.3.2-5.diff.gz

The "command-not-found" script uses 3.x on Ubuntu/Mint:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/saucy/command-not-found

It's 2.x on Debian, but thankfully it isn't part of the default install.