Hi Reuben,

Yes, I think the logging module is the best way to do it.
And it's pretty easy, see this minimal example:

import logging

logging.basicConfig(filename="foo.log", level=logging.DEBUG)
logging.debug("This is a log message")

The log levels are a great way, to control how much will be logged. So you can turn off debug messages by increasing the log level (e.g. to logging.INFO).

Note: The above code is just a minimal example. The logging module is much more powerful. For example, you could use different loggers for different parts of you program.

Regards,
Tobias