On 16/12/2013 14:12, Alina Campana wrote:
Hello dear tutorlist,

I feel terribly ashamed for my bad english...

Please *DO NOT* apologise for your English, it's an extremely difficult language.

Yet I'll try to form my question:

It is about the continue statement in python.
I wrote this code

i = 0
while (i < 10):
if i == 5:
continue
print i
i+=1

What i expected was an output like
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9

Exactly what I expected at first glance, but...

Instead it seems to freeze after 4. The shell input symbol is blinking.

I bet this is easy enough for pros but I really got my problem with
understanding the reason why.

You've written an infinite loop. After 4 is printed i is incremented to 5. As i is less than 10 the loop is entered. The test for i == 5 is true so the loop continues, skipping the increment of i. So i will never vary, the loop will keep running and the test for i == 5 is true so the loop continues, skipping the increment of i...

Okay thank you people, I go now learn better english ^^

Your English was perfectly understandable. I suggest you concentrate on your code :)

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence