On 19/12/13 11:45, Oscar Benjamin wrote:

Seriously though, I showed my girlfriend (a social worker) how to do
alt-tab a couple of months ago and she was really pleased

Never underestimate the ignorance of the average user.
When work was slack a few years ago my boss put together
a team of "IT consultants" (aka our programmers) and sent
them off to client departments in the organization to
identify potential productivity gains. The vast majority
were showing folks how to do cut n' paste using right mouse
clicks and keyboard shortcuts.

For advanced users we showed them how to record a macro
in MS Word/Excel.. It was so successful the boss got
an award! Thankfully work picked up again and we got
back to programming before the idea caught on too much!
But it was weird being introduced as a "computer guru"
just because you'd shown somebody how to hit Ctrl-X/C/V!

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site