On 02/15/2014 11:25 AM, Marc Eymard wrote:
Hello Tutor,

I need to generate a random integer between 0 and 100.

The range is supposed to be adjusted by my two variables:
low_range and high_range.

The logic of using the variables as part of the function arguments is to manage to get a smaller range each time the function is called _excluding_ the possible repeat of the return value of randint.

Here is what happens in my script:

    >>> import random
    >>> low_range = -1
    >>> high_range = 101
    >>> random.randint(low_range + 1, high_range - 1)
    56
    >>> low_range
    -1
    >>> high_range
    101*
    *

I was rather expecting:

     >>> low_range

    0

    >>> high_range

    100

Can somebody explain why both low_range and high_range are still returning their initial values ?

Thanks,
Marc*
*

The variables low_range and high_range are not modified. The arguments to random.randint do not change the initial values of the variables, only the actual values passed.

--
Jay Lozier
jsloz...@gmail.com