On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 4:05 PM, Walter Prins <wpr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> With the caveat that I'm not familiar with the Twitter streaming API's
> and that I literally only spend 3 minutes googling this, it seems to
> me to be the case that the Twitter streaming API's is intended to be a
> push style notification service.
>
> This means you should not in principle ideally be polling the service
> for updates yourself (e.g. using sleep/crong etc).  Instead, the docs
> say that the streaming API can return an iterator that yields objects
> as they're decoded from the stream.  Quote:
>
> "The TwitterStream object is an interface to the Twitter Stream API
> (stream.twitter.com). This can be used pretty much the same as the
> Twitter class except the result of calling a method will be an
> iterator that yields objects decoded from the stream. For example::"
>
> It's highly preferable to not poll something if it will
> generate/notify you of new objects, so you should be able to do
> something like in their example.  Quote:
>
> twitter_stream = TwitterStream(auth=UserPassAuth('joe', 'joespassword'))
> iterator = twitter_stream.statuses.sample()
>
> for tweet in iterator:
>     # ...do something with this tweet... (e.g. check if you want to
> retweet or something)
>
> So the for loop should just block by itself until a new tweet/message
> comes in at which point it will spring to life and hand it to your
> code to process.
>
> I hope that helps, and apologies if I misunderstood something or have
> missed something that makes my comment irrelevant to your problem.

Hi Lists,

Finally, I could monitor in real time by accessing Twitter API
Stream[1]. I add the track variable to string which I'd like to
monitor. Such as @mention.

for tweet in twitter_stream.statuses.filter(track='example'):
    print tweet

I use Mike Verdone's Twitter python library[2]

[1]https://dev.twitter.com/docs/api/1.1/post/statuses/filter
[2]https://pypi.python.org/pypi/twitter/1.13.1

Thank you all,