On 7 March 2014 14:29, Gabriele Brambilla
<gb.gabrielebrambi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> in the next days  I will receive a c++ code that I would like to run in
> python (http://docs.python.org/2/extending/index.html).
> It should be self consistent (no extraroutines).
> I want to be ready to use it... Has someone some C++ code examples available
> that I can try to run easily before getting that code?

Hi Gabriele,

I recommend either Alan's suggestion of running the C++ code as an
external application (with e.g. subprocess) or using cython to connect
the C++ code to Python. Which is appropriate depends on what you need
to do and how much flexibility you need from within the Python code.

I learned C and C++ before Python and consider myself reasonably
proficient in all 3 languages and capable of understanding
(dis-)assembly and linkage and so on and I still find ctypes to be a
bit of handful (I have less experience of cffi). Using Cython or just
compiling the C++ code with an external compiler is much better for
the error checking and so on. Using ctypes you get very little
error-checking, just seg faults and corruption.

Oscar