On 4/9/2014 3:59 PM, Adam Grierson wrote:
I'm using 3D climate data (ending in “.nc”). The cube contains time,
longitude and latitude. I would like to look at the average output over
the last 20 years. The time field spans back hundreds of years and I
only know how to collapse the entire field into a mean value. How can I
tell python to collapse just the last 20 years into a mean value?

An ".nc" file extension is NetCDF. NetCDF can be served by a DAP server. A DAP server can be sent a DAP request by a Python DAP client to drill for results confined to particular variables, a geographic bounding box, and a stop and start timestamp. See:

http://pydap.org

Or you can simply subset the desired subarray of NetCDF data using SciPy:

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy/reference/generated/scipy.io.netcdf.netcdf_file.html

Here's a tutorial:

snowball.millersville.edu/~adecaria/ESCI386P/esci386-lesson14-Reading-NetCDF-files.pdf

--
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway http://nccoos.org/Members/cbc
office: 3313 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 599-3530