On 21/06/2014 18:23, Alan Gauld wrote:
On 21/06/14 01:45, Alex Kleider wrote:

The only applicability that fits in with anything I've experienced has
to do with the necessity of globals to represent command line parameters

That's not a necessity and I hardly ever do that... :-)
But it is one pattern for handling CL args.

Other common patterns are for state machines.
That's where a system responds to events differently depending
on what events have already been seen.

Another is GUIs where the most common pattern is known as
Model-View-Controller. The implementation of MVC varies
greatly between languages, toolkits and technologies
(Web v Desktop, say) But they all use MVC as the pattern.

There are many others especially in the Smalltalk and Java
communities where the nature of the languages as well as
their community culture tend to restrict the solution
choices somewhat (although each in very different ways).

There are various pattern web sites. Wikipedia is a good
starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design_pattern

Try adding Alex Martelli when looking for anything about Python patterns. He's one of those people who've forgotten more about Python than I've ever learned, the @#$%^&* :)

--
My fellow Pythonistas, ask not what our language can do for you, ask what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence

---
is active.