On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 07:15:38AM +0100, Alan Gauld wrote:
> On 25/07/14 04:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
> >>3.5 is a dev version.  Not for production nor for learning python
> >>  one gets it by fetching from the repository and doing their own
> >>  compile.
> >
> >Do you figure that many beginners to Python are doing that?
>
> I think Dave was being a bit tongue in cheek.
> He was responding to the lack of information in the OPs post
> by picking an extreme example. At least that's how I read it.

:-)

Of course he was. And I was responding equally tongue in cheek.

Sometimes the version number or operating system is as irrelevant to the
question as is the manufacturer of their computer's memory, the brand of
the hard drive, or the colour of their mouse. "More information" is not
always useful, sometimes it just gets in the way, and if the answer we
give does not depend on X then I don't think there's any good reason to
insist that people tell us X and get snarky if they don't.

There's nothing wrong with answering "We need more information", and it
seems to me that specifically making the point that the OP didn't report
something of little or no relevence to the question up-front is rather
passive-aggressive. No offence intended to Dave, who is usually very
helpful but occasionally acts like an old grump shouting "You young'uns
get off my lawn!" :-)

(As I've been known to do myself, from time to time, most recently
with my snark about Twitter, so I do sympathise with him.)

--
Steven