On 03/03/2015 23:09, Phil wrote:
On 03/03/15 17:46, Mark Lawrence wrote:

You are trying to increment the first element of count which is itself a
list containing one element.  You actually need:-

count[0][0] +=1

Thank you Lawrence, Alan, and Danny,

The solution is embarrassingly obvious. It's been a long time since I've
attempted any programming and I'd even forgotten that I needed a nested
loop to access the cells in a two-dimensional array, or list. In this
case I didn't need a two-dimensional array anyway.

I'd been away from home for five weeks and during a quiet period I
installed QPython on my tablet with the aim of porting a programme that
I'd written in C++ 15 years ago to Python. Cutting and pasting and even
moving around the IDE turned out to be a truly frustrating exercise.

I wonder if it was just my clumsiness or if others have had the same
experience?

Having never heard of QPython I've just looked it up, so for those who don't know from http://qpython.com/ it's "a script engine which runs Python programs on android devices". I doubt if there is much experience on this list with it although you might get lucky.

I am aware though of http://bugs.python.org/issue23496 "Steps for Android Native Build of Python 3.4.2" which may be of interest.

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence