On 16.04.2015 19:24, Jim Mooney wrote:

Understood about the quondam inexactness of floating point bit
representation. I was just wondering why the different implementation of
representing it when using Fraction(float) as opposed to using
Fraction(string(float)).  In terms of user presentation, the string usage
has smaller numbers for the ratio, so it would be more understandable and
should, I assume, be chosen for GUI display.

The whole point of the discussion is that this is *not* a presentation issue. Fraction(1.64) and Fraction("1.64") *are* two different numbers because one gets constructed from a value that is not quite 1.64.
What sense would it make for Fraction(1.64) to represent itself inexactly ?
However, if you really want a shortened, but inexact answer: Fractions have a limit_denominator method that you could use like so:

>>> Fraction(1.64).limit_denominator(25)
Fraction(41, 25)