N.B.: This is a manual recreation of portions of the original thread,
"Introductory questions on test-driven development and implementing
Git version control". The portions included here are those relevant to
the version control. Where "[...]" appears, this indicates I did not
include those portions of the original thread here.

In a message of Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:09:45 -0500, boB Stepp writes:

[...]

>My wife (A teacher.) has been after me a lot lately to write some
>programs to make her teaching life better. So I would like to start
>one of her projects using TDD from the get-go. Also, this sounds like
>a good time to try to implement using version control software. While
>setting up Vim recently, I had to install Git (In order to get Vundle
>going.). So now I have that to play with. And to throw more fuel onto
>the fire of learning, why not jump into OOP for this project as well?
>It's about time! Plus it will make life with Tkinter a bit better,
>too.

>The project(s) will be coded in Python 3.4 on Windows 7 64-bit on my
>home computer. All projects that I actually complete for my wife will
>be implemented in her classroom, which has quite a variety of hardware
>and OS platforms: lap tops and desk tops, some of which are rather
>old, running Windows XP, Windows 7, and Ubuntu Linux. And possibly
>other combos that I have not been made aware of yet.

[...]

>And what would be the best approach to integrating Git with these
>efforts? Just how often does one commit one's code to the version
>control system? Or do I have some GCEs (Gross Conceptual Errors) here?
>Can Git be set up to automatically keep track of my code as I create
>and edit it?

[...]

In a message of Fri, 24 Apr 2015 at 3:00 PM, Laura Creighton writes:

>In a message of Fri, 24 Apr 2015 14:09:45 -0500, boB Stepp writes:

[...]

>>And what would be the best approach to integrating Git with these
>>efforts? Just how often does one commit one's code to the version
>>control system? Or do I have some GCEs (Gross Conceptual Errors) here?
>>Can Git be set up to automatically keep track of my code as I create
>>and edit it?

>Depending on what you mean by that, the answer is 'no' or 'that is
>exactly what git does, there is no way to _prevent_ this'.

>You have to tell git when you would like to save your work.
>It doesn't work like autosaving in an editor -- hah hah, she has typed
>300 chars now,  (or it has been 5 minutes now) time to autosave -- if
>you never tell git to save the work, it will never get saved.

>So what you typically do is write a test, tell git to save it, run the
>test, have it fail, write some more code and run  all the tests again,
>have them pass, tell git to save it, write another test ...

>If in the 'write some more code' part, you get the itch 'it would be
>really bad if my laptop died and I lost all this work' you tell git to
>save immediately and keep on going.

>There is a whole other layer about 'how to share your code with other
>people, politely, when several of you are working on the same project
>at one time, but if you are a one man team, you won't have to worry
>about that for a while.

[...]

On Fri., Apr 24, 2015 at 5:03 PM Alan Gauld wrote:

>On 24/04/15 20:09, boB Stepp wrote:

[...]

>> allowed to install anything else, strange as this may sound! Since the
>> only functional editors in these bare-bones Solaris 10 environments
>> are some simplistic default editor that I do not know the name of and
>> vi,

[...]

[...]

[...]

‎
>You can also watch Git For Ages 4 And Up:

>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ffBJ4sVUb4

>The executive summary of how I use version control:

>- work on bite-sized chunks of functionality
>- when the tests all pass, commit the work done
>- push changes to the master repo at least once per day

>The way I use version control on my own is that I have typically use a
>single branch. I rarely have to worry about contributions from others,
>so it's just my changes. Make sure that all the relevent files (source
>code, documentation, tests, images, etc.) are being tracked. Static
>files which never change, like reference materials, should not be.

>Starting from a point where all the tests pass, I decide to work on a
>new feature, or fix a bug. A feature might be something as small as "fix
>the documentation for this function", but *not* as big as "control
>remote controlled space ship" -- in other words, a bite-sized chunk of
>work, not a full meal. I write some tests, and write the minimal amount
>of code code that makes those tests pass:

>- write tests
>- save tests
>- write code
>- save code
>- run tests
>- fix bugs in tests
>- save tests
>- write some more code
>- save code
>- run tests again
>- write some more code
>- save code
>- run tests again

>etc. Once the tests pass, then I have a feature and/or bug fix, and I
>commit all the relevent changes to the VCS. hg automatically tracks
>files, git requires you to remind it every single time what files are
>being used, but either way, by the time I run `hg commit` or `git
>commit` I have a complete, and hopefully working, bite-sized chunk of
>code that has an obvious commit message:

>"fix bug in spam function"
>"correct spelling errors in module docs"
>"rename function ham to spam"
>"change function eggs from using a list to a dict"
>"move class K into its own submodule"

>etc. Notice that each change is small enough to encapsulate in a short
>description, but big enough that some of them may require multiple
>rounds of back-and-forth code-and-test before it works.

>I run the tests even after seemingly innoculous changes to comments or
>docstrings, especially docstrings. Edits to a docstring may break your
>doctests, or even your code, if you accidentally break the quoting.

>Then, when I am feeling satisfied that I've done a sufficiently large
>amount of work, I then push those changes to the master repo (if any).
>This allows me to work from various computers and still share the same
>code base. "Sufficiently large" may mean a single change, or a full
>day's work, or a whole lot of related changes that add up to one big
>change, whatever you prefer. But it shouldn't be less than once per day.

[...]