-----------------------------
On Sat, May 2, 2015 6:19 AM CEST boB Stepp wrote:

>On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 1:41 PM, Albert-Jan Roskam <fo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> ----------------------------
>> On Fri, May 1, 2015 5:39 AM CEST boB Stepp wrote:
>>
>>I created my remote repository on, say my C-drive, with "git init".
>>
>> Not with 'git init --bare'?
>
>Should I have used the option --bare? I was following along with the
>book, "Pro Git", which is available free on-line via the Git website.

Check out this page:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7861184/what-is-the-difference-between-git-init-and-git-init-bare

Isn't the error you mentioned before the same?

>> I usually prefer initializing a remote with a readme, so I can simply clone
>> it and then populate it with files. No 'git init' and 'git remote add'
>> needed.
>
>I'm not certain I am following you here. When you say you are
>"initializing a remote with a readme", have you first run "git init"
>or "git init --bare" in that directory? And I presume the readme is
>the typical readme file that most projects have? And then you go to
>your working directory and run your git clone command? And then as you
>generate files in your working directory, you push them to the remote?

Sorry, that probably only applies when you use a web service like Github,
Bitbucket, or Gitbucket.

>> This book is good: https://pragprog.com/book/pg_git/pragmatic-guide-to-git
>>
>Thanks for the link. Just now ordered it.

Yeah, that book has a good TL;DR rating. It's not exhaustive, but the commands
you use most of the time are covered. Like "how do I undo a commit", or "How do
I create a tag". I have this book, plus a big fat Git book with just about
everything in it.