>________________________________

Hmm, I think it is possible to give some pros and cons. I have no experience
with PyTest.
While I usually use unittest (just out of habit), I think nose is much easier
and powerful.

* Unittest
Pros:
part of the Standard library
powerful, flexible

Cons:
need to declare a class to define one or more test cases (not so readable)

no (easy) test runner

* Doctest
Pros:
part of the Standard library
testable documentation

Cons:
Should be used for (testable) documentation, and nothing else
Basic use: easy. More advanced use: hard or impossible
No good for Python 2 & 3 code.

* Nose
Pros:
tests are readable; they are simply functions
generator tests
test runner for just about any other test module

cons:
not part of the Standard library
all tests pass in Python optimized mode (-O or -OO) --> because asserts are
used!

* Pytest
???

* Dedicated test modules: numpy.testing, PyQt4.QtTest, etc.
Use whenever possible?