Personally I would start with Python 2.7, and start with simple scripts.

The standard library in Python is very "wide", and having a good
understanding of what is already there is very useful.

As to GUI/ Web/ etc. - I think it depends on what you want to do. However,
you will need the basics before then.

You don't say what your background is, but if you've done some programming
before then the basics should be pretty quick.

Once you've done the basics, some more "intermediate" level stuff is
useful. Personally, I find reading source code useful (there is a tonne on
the PPI). There are some other resources listed here:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5998750

HTH,