In a message of Fri, 17 Jul 2015 23:57:01 -0500, boB Stepp writes:
>But for this student assessment project, it is going to have to be
>without all the desired bells and whistles to have something that will
>be practically useful for her when school starts.  Especially when I
>am certain Vonda is still figuring out what she *really* needs!

Every user is like this.  You hand them a thing that does 100%
exactly what they said they wanted, they play with it for 10 minutes,
(or sometimes 10 seconds) and say 'aha!  Now what I would really like is ...'

This means that you need to have frequent chats with the people who
will use the app as you are developing it. And here, you got lucky
in that you live with the person you need to talk to.  So you won't
run into -- we are too busy to talk to you right now, we cancelled the
last meeting we had to discuss things, and no, we don't know when
we can reschedule --  which can be a problem when  doing commercial
development.

One warning -- how a person uses an app when they are new to it, and
learning how to use it is different than how they use it when they
are very familiar with it.  So, for instance, it is common to hear
'I will never remember the 4 commands.  Can I have a pull down
menu?'  And you give them that.  Then, a week later they tell you
'This pull down menu is too slow.  Can  we have a keyboard shortcut
instead?'  At this point the 4 commands won't be hard to remember,
and may be exactly the keyboard shortcut they are now looking for.

It is a thing to remember when you are discussing what users want
with the users.

Laura