On 05/08/2015 15:15, Ltc Hotspot wrote:
Hi everyone:

I want to write a python program that reads through the data file of
mbox-short.txt.Mbox-short.txt, i.e.,  download is available at
http://www.py4inf.com/code/mbox-short.txt.

Secondly, I want for python to figure out who sent the greatest number of
mail messages.

The output should read: c...@iupui.edu 5

However, there is a traceback message:

In [40]: %run 9_4_4.py
   File "C:\Users\vm\Desktop\apps\docs\Python\_9_4_4.py", line 19
     count = dict()
         ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Raw data code reads:

fname = raw_input("Enter file name: ")
handle = open (fname, 'r')
text = handle.read()

## The program looks for 'From ' lines and takes the second
## word of those lines as the person who sent the mail.

addresses = set()
for addr in [ text.split()[2]('From  ')
     if fromline

## The program creates a Python dictionary that maps
## the sender's mail address to a count of the number
## of times they appear in the file.

         count = dict()
         for wrd in word:
             count[wrd]= count.get(wrd,0) +1

## After the dictionary is produced, the program reads
## through the dictionary using a maximum loop to
## find the greatest number of mail messages.

maxval = none
maxkee = none
for kee, val in count.items():
     if maxval == none or maxval <val:
         maxval = val
         maxkee = kee

print items

Question: What is the cause of the dictionary line message?

Learning to find these syntax errors is a skill you must learn for yourself. Very often the error occurs one or even more lines before the line on which the error is actually detected. So please go back from where the error is actually reported and see what you can find. Very strong hint, do not ask again until you've fixed at least two of the three errors, and there may be more :)

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence