On 05/09/2015 10:09, Peter Otten wrote:
marcus lütolf wrote:

Hello Peter, hello Martin,
many thanks for your very quick response !!!

As for Peter's advice:

the 5 lists above do not match my task insofar as every of the 5 lists
contains  'a' and 'b' which should occur only once, hence my count of a
maximum of 301 lists, which might nor be correct 100%. My be one could put
it in Python as follows:
('a', 'b', 'c') = True
('a', 'b', 'd')= False
('a', 'b', 'e')= False
('a', 'b', 'f')= False
('a', 'b', 'g')= False

So for completeness it follows that:-

('a', 'c', 'd') == False
('b', 'c', 'd') == False

yes?

I should probably tell you the real task are a series (maximum ~ 301)
lists in which real names  of people are assigned to the items/letters for
2 people(golfers) can be in  the same list(flight)  only once for an
extended period of time.

It's probably a good idea to ask your question in a mathematics forum --
this problem looks common enough to have a name and some brain power spent
on it.

To me this is clearly an example of a Steiner Triple system
associated with Balanced Incomplete Block Design. Which means I found this http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/52263.html which got me to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steiner_system and also http://oeis.org/A137348/a137348.txt. Just one minor little question, am I actually correct?

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence