On 05/10/2015 18:46, richard kappler wrote:
I'm reading up on exception handling, and am a little confused. If you have
an exception that just has 'pass' in it, for example in a 'for line in
file:' iteration, what happens? Does the program just go to the next line?

EX:

for line in file:
     try:
         do something
     except:
         pass

I know (so many of you have told me :-) that using pass is a bad idea, but
how else do you skip the current line if the 'try' can't be done, and go on
to the next line exiting the program with a trace error?

regards, Richard

Don't put the `try: except:` there in the first place. This is the best way to approach development. Let Python throw all your programming errors at you, then refine your code to catch the ones you need to. See https://docs.python.org/3/library/exceptions.html#exception-hierarchy for the ones you would potentially need to catch for file handling under OSError.

One must also add the obligatory never use a bare `except:`

what you can do for our language.

Mark Lawrence