*Alan*

​I note that the most recent release of ASTM (Mar 16 2013)
> pre-dates 2.7.4 (Apr 6th 2013) by a week or two.
> There is a slight chance that it is incompatible. I can't
> ​see any notes about which Python versions it works with.

In the Chnagelog for Ver. 0.4 it says "Set minimal Python version to 2.6,
but 3.2-3.3 also works well." But in the setup.py they have mentioned
against 'Programming Language::' Python 2.6, 2.7, 3.2 and 3.3. I'll try in
different machine and let you know.

I just did the following from the directory 'astm-0.5.0' ( as untarred from
the tarball from the website)

$ chmod 777 setup.py
$ ./setup.py

​You need to provide a bit more detailed info on what you are
> doing and what specific issues you want help with.

Let me explain. The biochemistry analyzer Cobas C311 can be made to
configure in a full-duplex mode in which  it accepts the 'Patient_ID' and
reads the tests to be done and performs them and again it sends the results
to the Host machine. For the time being, we need the second part. Only data
acquisition from the analyzer. The program will just acquire the data from
the analyser and store it in a CSV file.(to be incorporated to an existing
Oracle database)

The Python ASTM looks promising with its objectives:

   1. Provide decoder ASTM data to Python objects and encode them back to
   valid ASTM messages.
   2. Provide ability to *create your own ASTM client and server
   applications *followed by common specification routines.
   3. *Provide ready-to-use “drivers” for various ASTM-driven analysers*,
   middlewares and other software or hardware solutions.

But I need some solid example to start off with. And if it is *'ready to
use'* then what is the syntax. I don't seem to find any usage examples. For
example, what is to be done for starting data acquisition. Then comes
manipulation. Even if I manage to get some bits of meaningful information
transferred from the machine, it makes sense. Though there are some
examples in the 'OmniLab' section, I can't figure out what to do with them.
*Albert*

Maybe it's setuptools that is too old? Or perhaps pip?
> sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install --only-upgrade python-setuptools python-pip
>
> I believe it's safer to install Python packages via apt-get if you are
> using the Linux internal Python, rather than using pip.

I have not installed through pip. I just gave the setup script 777
permission and run it with ./setup.py . How do I do it with apt-get? I
don't think it's in repository. Pls let me know.