Caroline,

The parentheses change the interpretation for the print statement. If you
put it without the parentheses, it will work fine.
print "Mashed ",veg," on the ceiling."

Also, another note: the spaces at end of the first string and the start of
the third string aren't necessary. When you use multiple parameters, print
will automatically put a space between them.

HTH