I am homeschooling my son Spencer, and he is interested in learning how to
write code.  We purchased a book by DK called "Help Your Kids With Computer
Coding".  We have done the section on scratch, and now have started the
Python section.  The book was written using IDLE, but with the newest
version of Python, I am unable to get the IDLE shell running.

If someone could help me get the IDLE shell running that would be a great
start, but any advice on how to help my son learn to code would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks to all,
Steve Molter