On 20Jan2016 21:42, boB Stepp <robertvst...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm whizzing along in "Python Crash Course" and am in the chapter on
classes.  Just to satisfy my suspicion that "self" is just a
placeholder for creating an object instance,

No, it is a placeholder for a _preexiting_ object instance.

[...]
So I really only have one question:  Why not make Python's
*traditional* name, "self", mandatory?  Why give the programmer this
kind of choice?  [OK, that was two questions.]

Why make it mandatory? What benefit would it bring? Remember, one can write nonsense or impossible to read gibberish in any language; most people don't try to. So to repeat my question: why make it mandatory?

Cheers,
Cameron Simpson <c...@zip.com.au>