Thanks Danny! I realized that I should not be concerned with
speed/efficiency since I am a beginner in python and giving the data I work
with, speed is not that important now.

I am learning how to read files via several ways and transform them to
numpy arrays. I just thought genfromtxt provides many options and one could
use it to read and convert a file into 2d array with proper format; instead
of reading it then format it. But genfromtxt gives byte strings which i
could not convert to integer, float, string, etc.

Thanks again--EKE