I am not surprised since you have set it to a usually non printable
character of ascii the data link escape. Perhaps you would have better
luck with the extended ascii characters; but not much in there for
arrows. I would probably go with chr(175) but that did not display
correctly in the web based terminal either; because it looked like an
underline at the top of the character block.