marat murad via Tutor <tutor@python.org> writes:

> The author introduced a new way of coding the Boolean NOT operator
> with the 'if' statement I have highlighted the relevant
> area,apparently this if statement actually means if money != 0,which I
> understood

Not quite. The statement actually means “if ‘money’ evaluates as true”.

Any Python value can be interrogated with the question “Are you true or
false?”, and that is what the ‘if’ statement does.

This is different from asking ”Is this the True constant or the False
constant?” because for most values the answer is ”Neither”.

In Python the question “Is this value true, or false?” is usually
implemented as ”Is this value something, or nothing?”. If the value is
conceptually nothing, it evaluates as false when interrogated in a
boolean context.

See the Python documentation for a comprehensive list of false values
<URL:https://docs.python.org/3/library/stdtypes.html#truth-value-testing>;
any not-false value is true by default.

If you learn the conceptual “if it's not something, it's false”, then
you will have a fairly good intuition for how ‘if somevalue’ works.

--
 \        “None can love freedom heartily, but good men; the rest love |
  `\                           not freedom, but license.” —John Milton |