On 25/09/16 01:01, David Rock wrote:

On Sep 24, 2016, at 04:21, Phil <phil_...@bigpond.com> wrote:

The problem is that the client is not responding, certainly not as expected.
There aren't any Python errors either, however, the console is blocked until
the client is disabled. If I then attempt a connection with the disabled client
a Python connection refused error is displayed, as I would expect.

I have read the telnetlib document and searched for examples but I seem to be
stuck on a very basic problem.

By the way, I'm using Python 3.5 under Linux.

when you say "the client is not responding, certainly not as expected”, what,
exactly, is the output you get?

In my dazed state I think I responded to David personally instead of the list, my apologies.

Thank you for your reply David.

This is what I expect:

Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.

But, as I say, the console is blocked and nothing is returned.

I'll try the debug method that you suggested.

read_all is a bit touchy, and it’s a blocking operation. the blocking part is
likely why the console is blocked.  read_all doesn’t know it should give things
back to you just because you don’t see any new data; it’s still trying to read
everything until it times out.

either add a short timeout value to your telnetlib.Telnet(), or try a different
read method; for example, read_very_eager

you could also try using telnetlib.set_debuglevel() to try and get more details
about what’s actually happening.

--
Regards,
Phil