import sys
from notebook import Notebook, Note

class Menu:
    '''Display a menu and respond to choices when run.'''
    def __init__(self):
        self.notebook = Notebook()
        self.choices = {
                "1": self.show_notes,
                "2": self.search_notes,
                "3": self.add_note,
                "4": self.modify_note,
                "5": self.quit
                }

    def display_menu(self):
        print("""
Notebook Menu

1. Show all Notes
2. Search Notes
3. Add Note
4. Modify Note
5. Quit
""")

    def run(self):
        '''Display the menu and respond to choices.'''
        while True:
            self.display_menu()
            choice = input("Enter an option: ")
            action = self.choices.get(choice)
            if action:
                action()
            else:
                print("{0} is not a valid choice".format(choice))
<snip>

The author says:

The action variable actually refers to a specific method and is called by appending empty brackets (since none of the methods require parameters) to the variable.

I sort of understand what is going on with "action". All of the choices to the right of the :'s are methods defined elsewhere in the code. So I guess that will call whatever method is associated with a choice.

I don't recall ever seeing this before.  What is this technique called?

Thanks,  Jim