I'm trying to implement a conditional branch based on a variable type.
For example, if c is a character and s is a set with only one member.

c = "9"
s ={9}

if type(c) == a string:
        do this
else:
        do that

An alternative that I've attempted is to test if a set contains one member
based on len(). However, I then cannot tell if len() is referring to a single
character or a single set with one member. So I'm back to square one.

A for loop is indexing mixed lists of characters (one character per list) and
lists that a set with one member. I'm only interested in the sets and want to
ignore the character lists.

I have come up with a method that will probably work but it's become quite
messy with multiple compare statements. Something simple and less prone to
cause headaches would be better.

--
Regards,
Phil