On 08/11/2017 09:54 AM, Alan Gauld via Tutor wrote:
> On 11/08/17 13:35, Thomas Güttler wrote:
>
>> I guess most python installations have setuptools.
>
> I guess so too, although I don't know.
> Those that don't are probably in one of two categories
> a) people who just downloaded Python and never installed
>    anything else
> b) people working for large paranoid corporates. Although
>    in this case there is probably only one installation,
>    albeit with hundreds of users.
>
> So far as I can tell I don't have it on any of my
> Python installs on my Linux box, but I may just be looking
> in the wrong place...

Most Linux distributions choose to make it a separate package.  I have
it (them - one for Py2 and one for Py3) installed everywhere, but I'd
guess it's not a default install then.

Fedora:
python2-setuptools-36.2.0-1.fc26.noarch
python3-setuptools-36.2.0-1.fc26.noarch

Ubuntu:

Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend