On 06/09/17 06:34, Pat Martin wrote:

> but my script returns 0. Since they want it to find 2 from the bobob in the
> string using "bob in s" doesn't work (it only returns 1).

Your code has bugs and Cameron has addressed those along
with general advice on how to debug your code in future.
However there are other string methods that could save
you some work.

At the >>> prompt use dir(str) to see a list of all
the methods available. Then use help(str.methodName)
to find out what each one does.
(Or just browse the string documentation on the web site!)

In this case you might find some of the following methods useful:

str.count
str.find
str.index
str.startswith

and of course you can use string slicing to access a
substring. Combining slicing with the parameters of
find or index should make your task easier.

Finally, if you want to carry on with your loop approach
you might find that enumerate is useful here since it
gives you the index as well as the character. That
will allow you to look-ahead to see if the next two
characters are 'ob'... That should simplify things.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site