Been working my way through an online Python course. Up until now I have had no problems writing and running the programs using Python 3.6 in a virtual environment and then pasting them into the courses editor.

When I run this program on my system I get the following error.

# file_io.py

def copy(file, new_file):
    with open(file) as data:
        text = data.read()

    with open(new_file, 'w') as new_text:
        new_text.write(text)

copy('~/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/story.txt', '~/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/story_copy.txt')

(env36) jfb@jims-mint18 ~ $ python '/home/jfb/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/file_io.py'
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/jfb/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/file_io.py", line 11, in <module> copy('~/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/story.txt', '~/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/story_copy.txt') File "/home/jfb/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/file_io.py", line 4, in copy
    with open(file) as data:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '~/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp/story.txt'

The file is there.

jfb@jims-mint18 ~/Documents/Courses/ModernBootcamp $ ls
adding_to_lists.py errors.py functionsII.py helpers.py modules.py stop_copying.py animals exercise.py functions.py iteration.py oop.py story.txt decorators.py file_io.py generators.py list_comps.py __pycache__ unlucky_numbers.py dictionarys.py FirstProgram guessing_game.py list_methods.py smiley_faces.py while_loop.py

I must be doing something wrong path-wise, but I can't seem to figure it out. Any help appreciated.

Regards,  Jim