On 07/05/2018 11:03 AM, Hlavin, Matthew (GSFC-5460)[GSFC INTERNS] wrote:
I just downloaded Python to work on a project at work. I'm writing a pretty
simple program for data collection for an experiment. In order to get the data,
though I need to install PyVISA. The website for PyVISA says I can install the
library using the line:
$ pip install -U pyvisa
When I type this line, I get a syntax error for using the $, and when I remove
the $, I get a syntax error for using the word install. I even tried just using
the word pip and an error said 'pip' is not defined. I'm not sure if I'm not
using some syntax wrong, or if its a completely different issue.

Thanks for any help and insight
Matt Hlavin

It sounds like you are trying to install it from inside python. First make sure that pip is installed on your OS. Then install PyVISA from your commandline/terminal (which ever your OS provides). Also depending on which version of python you are using (2 or 3) you may have to type pip3 instead of just pip.

regards,  Jim