At work I have accumulated a motley collection of programs I have
written since I started around 2012.  These all run on the Solaris OS.
As long-time readers of my past ramblings may recall, I am not allowed
to install any outside programs on this Solaris system, but I am
allowed to write my own programs to my heart's content, using only
whatever programming-related tools that happen to be installed on a
rather bare-bones OS install.  We have just recently completed
upgrades on hardware, Solaris and treatment planning software.  On the
good news side we went from the vi editor to Vim/gVim; from Python 2.4
to 2.7; in addition to Tkinter there is now a Python interface to GTK;
went from no SQLite to having it; and a few other goodies that
currently slip my mind.  But on the bad side the only version control
system installed, SCCS (RIP!) went bye-bye with _nothing_ to replace
it.  And as usual the radiation therapy planning software we use was
upgraded from version 9.10 to 16.2, breaking several of my programs,
requiring updates on my part that I recently completed.

So as to not lose the benefits of a version control system, I have
installed Git on my windows PC.  My current workflow now has gotten
more complex, and I'm sure can be improved by those thinking more
clearly than I (And surely more knowledgeable!), and is as follows:

1)  Using CuteFTP copy all of my original working code (Now with
problems due to the planning software upgrade.) to my windows PC.
2)  Put this code under Git version control.
3)  Create a development branch.
4)  FTP this back to Solaris for code repair, testing, etc.  BUT!
This process has changed all of the Unix file permissions on what are
(For me.) many files, some planning system proprietary scripting
files, some Perl files, some shell script files and some Python files.
So before I can do anything further I must go through all of these
files and change their permissions to the values I need them to be.
This is quite tedious and error prone.  So I wish to either fix the
process, or, failing that, automate the process of correcting the file
permissions.

If there is a way in this CuteFTP software to maintain file
permissions in this back-and-forth transferring between a Windows and
Solaris environment, I have yet to find it in the software's help
(Though I have not yet had much time to invest in this search, so I
may not have found it yet.).

It occurs to me that in theory it should be possible to automate this
either with a shell script or a Python program.

Is there a standard way of handling this sort of thing?  Bear in mind
that if a typical solution would require the installation of a
software package in the Solaris environment, I am not allowed to do
so.  I am not allowed to use Python pip either.  Strange rules ...

--
boB