On 30/08/18 00:09, Roger Lea Scherer wrote:
> I'm trying to implement a local host. My instructions tell me to type the
> following command in the command line, make sure I'm in the "www" folder

So this is not the folder where python3 is installed. (See below)

> python3 -m http.server --cgi 8000

> I'm running Anaconda in Windows 10. I get an error: 'python3' is not
> recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch
> file.
> But this is the folder that I thought Python 3.6 was in.

you said you were in www which is not where Python should
be installed.

It is likely that Python is not in your system PATH.
You need to find out where it is installed and add it.
In a standard Python install it would either be in
C:\PROGRAM FILES\PYTHON or
C:\PYTHON

But Anaconda (version please?) could use its own path
such as

C:\ANACONDA\PYTHON

> So how do I correct this? I suspect python3 isn't in this folder. I know I
> have python3 because I run python3.6 shell practically every day.

How do you run it?
>From a command line or via a menu/shortcut?

> looked in the Program Files folder, came up empty as far as python is
> concerned, but I don't know where else to look?

Try using Windows search tool and look for a file called python*.exe

> Or if this is not the correct forum, can you please (re)direct me to the
> correct one?

This is OK, although you might try the Anaconda folks too since
they will know more about how/where Anaconda installs python
and sets up[ default paths.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site