In another currently active thread Mats Wichmann recommends using:
  python -m pip install ...
vs
  pip install ...

The question is how to install a specific version of python itself.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 and have the following notes to myself as to how to install version 3.6 which was the one I wanted at the time:

  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/python-3.6
  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install python3.6
  pip install --user virtualenvwrapper
  echo "source virtualenvwrapper.sh" >> ~/.bashrc
  source ~/.bashrc
  mkvirtualenv --python=python3.6 p36

Should I modify these notes?
What should I do if/when I'm looking to use the next version (3.7 and beyond?) Will things be completely different if/when I finally decide to move up to Ubuntu 18.04?

Thanks,
Alex

--
Alex Kleider