On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 10:36 AM David Rock <da...@graniteweb.com> wrote:

> > On Dec 30, 2018, at 18:39, Alan Gauld via Tutor <tutor@python.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 30/12/2018 22:25, Avi Gross wrote:
> >
> >> I admit I have not studied the charter for the group.
> >
> > As moderator I feel the need to step in here because the
> > charter is extremely apropos to that function and some
> > clarification may be helpful.
>
> I would like to add an observation…
>
> The core complaint appears to be the length of the postings.  To my eye,
> Avi’s style of posting is extremely verbose, which is not necessarily a bad
> thing; but perhaps taking some time to distill the thoughts to make a
> concise, on topic, point would be helpful in this case.  When discussions
> appear to ramble at length in odd tangents, the helpfulness to the beginner
> is diluted and the original point of the discussion is lost.

While I guess I am not considered here a rank beginner anymore, I
still know I have a LOT to learn.  In general I *try* to read all
posts on both the Tutor list and the main Python list.  However, I
must echo David's point -- I find Avi's posts way too long and
rambling, and while I am sure there are many useful nuggets to
explore, I find myself more and more often just doing a quick scan for
anything that just *pops out* that interests me, and, if not, hit
delete.

To Avi:  I know I would enjoy your posts much more if you would:  (1)
Get to the point quickly and stay on topic while addressing that
point.  Or, (2)  When you have a variety of disparate topics you would
like to discuss, break your one long post into a series of separate
emails, each with an appropriate subject line, and stick to each
post's topic implied by the subject line you choose.

I know I am often quite guilty on rambling on, so I know how hard it
is to do this.

I say all of this, Avi, not to be critical, but to hopefully enhance
everyone's opportunity to process and learn from your thoughts.

In any event, I hope all you Pythonistas have both a HAPPY AND BLESSED
NEW YEAR!!!

--
boB