On Sun, May 19, 2019 at 10:37:56AM +1000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

> That's not quite right -- case sensitivity of the OS isn't important,
> case sensitivity of the *file system* is. And the standard file system
> on Mac OS, HFS+, defaults to case-preserving but case-insensitive.
>
> (There is an option to turn case-sensitivity off, but hardly anyone uses
> it because too many applications break.)

Oops, I meant to say there is an option to turn case-sensitivity ON, but
hardly anyone uses it.

By the way, Linux users can experiment with case-insensitive file
systems provided they have privileges to mount file systems. Here's an
example. At the shell:

# allocate 100K for a (tiny) file system
dd if=/dev/zero of=fat.fs bs=1024 count=100

# format as FAT-12 with an optional label
/sbin/mkfs.vfat -n "FAT image" fat.fs

# mount it and create some files
sudo mount -o loop  fat.fs /mnt
sudo touch /mnt/{lower.txt,UPPER.TXT,mIxEd.TxT}

Now you have a file system and some empty files to experiment with.

--
Steven