On 15/08/2019 15:10, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I need to find a phrase in i text file in order to read a unique text
> string into a python3 application.
>
> I have become stuck and Google has not been of any use.

I'm sorry but there is so much wrong here it is difficult
to know where to begin.

> #!/usr/bin/env python3
> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
> #
> #  Extract.Data.py
>
> import re

You don't need re since you are not using any regular expressions.

> name = input("Enter Molecule Name: ")
>
> name_in = name+'_apo-1acl.dlg'

This creates a string called name_in.

> re.search("RMSD TABLE",name_in())

And here you search for the string(not regular expression)
"RMSD TABLE" in the return value from name_in()
But name_in is a string, you cannot call a string.

>>> "foo"()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<pyshell#6>", line 1, in <module>
    "foo"()
TypeError: 'str' object is not callable

> and here is the portion of the text file (Acetyl_apo-1acl.dlg)
> containing the information:
>

> Number of multi-member conformational clusters found = 4, out of 20 runs.
>
>      RMSD TABLE

And this is the only line containing your string so, even if
your code worked, this is the only line you would locate.
It doesn't look very useful...

> Everything that I have tried returns 'TypeError: 'str' object is not
> callable'.

See my comments above.

--
Alan G