On Sat, 2005-01-01 at 20:54 -0500, Albert Cahalan wrote:
> Well anyway... what do people like?
> (usable, pretty at all sizes, easy to code...)

I think usability suffers with smaller font style & size buttons, and in
layouts where those buttons are not adjacent to the font choice buttons.
For these reasons, I initially thought the last one ("Things line up
better with Tux being 48 high") is the best balance of usability and
space.  I can't say about pretty at all sizes or easy to code, as I
haven't really looked at either.

On the other hand, now that I look at it again, won't kids miss when
pressing the black or grey color chooser buttons, and accidentally hit
print or quit instead?  Most of your layouts have this problem, except
for number two (four small square buttons in a row at bottom right) and
number four (four small square buttons in two rows at bottom right).  Of
these two, I think I'd choose number two, by virtue of having larger
color chooser buttons, although I worry that in some languages, the loss
of extra text area space may be a problem.  (Oh, I see number three also
doesn't have that problem, but I really really don't like the font style
& size button placement in that one.)

Ben