On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM, Michael <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Steve: For continuity reasons, I'd watch "Torchwood" Series 1 after
> watching "Doctor Who" Series 2, which, with its tear-jerking finale, I
> preferred to S3 (although there's a three-episode run late in S3 that
> is, flat out, as good as TV gets). And Brad, the phrase "deus ex
> machina in S3" says it all, almost literally. As for DW Series 4, it
> was so much fun that I'm looking forward to watching it again before
> the Christmas special this December.

Okay, I'm with Brad in that I think season 2 is better than season 3. But I
think agree with Michael in the three-epsiode stretch -- assuming we're
talking about the same three episodes.
I loved "Human Nature," "The Family of Blood" and "Blink." I think "Blink"
is about as good as television gets.
I liked "Utopia," the third from the last episode so maybe we can include
that in the three episode run. But looking at entire DVDs,  the DVD with
"Human Nature," "The Family of Blood" and "Blink." is bookended by a couple
of turkeys. It's preceded by a four-show DVD, "Daleks in Manhattan,"
"Evolution of the Daleks," "The Lazarus Experiment " and "42." Wow, the
series almost grinded to a halt on that DVD.
And the two ending shows of the season. Maudlin. And poor special effects. I
just never bought that the character played by Freema Agyeman had fallen in
love with the doctor, so that whole story thread was a waste.

I've noticed that Russell T. Davies is wrting a lot of the shows I don't
like and that he's leaving the series. I'm wondering if he's creatively
bankrupt, at least as far as this series goes? Or maybe he's spread himself
too thin with "Torchwood." I still have season 4 to watch, but that will
wait until after the second season of Torchwood.