I'm sure this is a dumb question. In my defense, while I was born in
Ann Arbor, I have lived almost all of my life in California. My wife
is from Hawaii.

I am taking my family to DC for the inauguration. We don't have
tickets, so we will be standing in the mall with a million other
people, probably for many hours. We have been told to wear long
underwear and gloves. I mean, we have been told: "Seriously, I'm not
kidding. You must wear long underwear and gloves". OK. We have worn
those before, on the 5 or 6 times we took the kids skiing in Tahoe. I
think I know what long underwear is. But do they really mean gloves
like what we used to go skiing? The ones I had were kind of bulky, and
I don't look forward to having to use them all day (and I don't want
to look like an idiot, dressed for the arctic unnecessarily). On
amazon I see 5 or 10 different kinds of gloves. I kind of like these
classy looking leather driving ones -  but maybe they are not really
meant for cold/rain? I don't see anything that says "perfect for cold
ass winter weather in an urban environment".

While I am at it - what kind of shoes should we wear? I almost always
wear sneakers. When we go skiing I wear big old clodhoppers - but I
find those rather uncomfortable. Would it be stupid to walk around in
the cold or snow in sneakers, or will those work fine if I have heavy
socks?

One more thing: How does intelligent human life manage to survive in
climates where it gets so cold that you actually have to think twice
about the kind of clothes you are going to wear? People are telling me
that if we make the wrong clothing choices we could die; I think that
is God's way of suggesting that people don't belong there.