On Mar 8, 2:00 pm, "K.M. Richards" <richard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 7, 11:25 am, Bob in Jersey <bob.in.jer...@juno.com> wrote:
>
> > When did Fox decide that WWOR and WNYW would transmit each other's SD
> > feeds on their HD2's?
>
> I don't find that half as strange as what one of my PBS stations (KOCE
> in Orange County, CA) does:  Their .1 is a full-time, all-HD service
> which does not always carry the same program as the SD analog
> channel.  The analog simulcast is on their .4 channel.

A lot of PBS stations do that, since PBS sends out a 24/7 all-HD
feed.  WTTW in Chicago was picking up the feed and inserting local
shows and some acquisitions under the name "WTTWD" (for "Digital," as
in "Welcome to the future--PBS Digital"), but since the beginning of
the year the HD feed is the same as the SD feed (and they occasionally
forget to switch the picture on the SD feed, meaning sometimes we get
SD pictures square-boxed or HD crammed up so we can't read the lower
thirds).  At the end of March, WTTW is starting on .2 (where the all-
HD used to be) and on cable an all-adult programming channel called
"WTTW Prime" that lets you watch the prime time shows during the day
when the kid shows are on the mainline (and a different bunch of shows
in prime time).  Their other digital channels are the all-how-to
Create and the Spanish V-me turnkey feeds (wish they would run PBS
World).

Right now, as for the other Chicago channels:

WBBM (CBS) (ch. 2)--only HD
WMAQ (NBC) (ch. 5)--HD, NBC Plus (formerly Weather Plus) and Universal
Sports
WLS (ABC) (ch. 7)--HD, "ABC7 Plus" (essentially repeats of newscasts
and local pubaffairs shows--originally was ABC News Now, but has not
gone back to it since that channel was offered again to digitals), and
Accu-Weather's turnkey channel
WGN (CW) (ch. 9)--HD and LATV (aimed at young English-speaking
Latinos--where the Tube briefly was before they went under)
WYCC (PBS) (ch. 20), WYIN (PBS--"Lakeshore PBS") (ch. 56)--nothing, as
far as I know (WYIN has already turned off their analog signal)
WCIU (Ind.) (ch. 26)--The most aggressive digital programming of
anyone--HD, simulcasts of their Class A LP stations WWME (classic TV
"MeTV") and WMEU (more classic TV "MeToo"), brokered foreign-language
FBT and mostly-MGM library movies ThisTV
WFLD (Fox) (ch. 32), WPWR (MyTV) (ch. 50)--nothing but HD, and if like
the New York Fox stations, simulcasts of each other
WCPX (ION) (ch. 38)--I assume they're running their ION Life and Qubo
channels, but they didn't get Comcast to carry them
WSNS (TEL) (ch. 44), WFXT (FUT) (ch. 60), WGBO (UNI) (ch. 66)--As far
as I know, nada--not even HD.
WJYS (brokered religion/infomericals) (ch. 62)--As far as I know,
nothing, but who watches this station except Bible-thumpers, anyway?