Another shoe drops (kind of, or not really).

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/features/2009/10/david-letterman-200910?currentPage=1

Nell Scoville reports that when she was the second female comedy
writer at Late Night in 1990, Dave... did not hit on her. But because
he was sleeping with other women not her (according to office rumors),
and some women who may or may not have been sleeping with him seemed
to have more influence over him than she thought was appropriate to
their lowly job title (apparently somewhere below staff writer) the
work environment was hostile. Of course, just because an employee says
the environment is hostile does not make it hostile, but Scoville
can't really be bothered with providing any details or evidence to
support her claims. She does write like the former Secretary of
Defense used to talk, and if the rest of her stuff is this funny she
must be great at her job (though I always thought *Coach* was written
by hacks):

"Did Dave hit on me? No. Did he pay me enough extra attention that it
was noted by another writer? Yes. Was I aware of rumors that Dave was
having sexual relationships with female staffers? Yes. Was I aware
that other high-level male employees were having sexual relationships
with female staffers? Yes. Did these female staffers have access to
information and wield power disproportionate to their job titles? Yes.
Did that create a hostile work environment? Yes. Did I believe these
female staffers were benefiting professionally from their personal
relationships? Yes. Did that make me feel demeaned? Completely. Did I
say anything at the time? Sadly, no."

Keep reading to get the sordid, appalling punchline to this story -
Dave had the nerve to want Scoville to keep working for him, and even
asked her why she was leaving. She quits her dream job because she
concludes Dave never would hit on her - or maybe its because she didnt
want Dave to have sex with anyone but her, or maybe it was because she
didn't want Dave to have sex with anyone, or maybe it was because she
did not want Dave's personal assistants to enjoy no-knock privileges
to his office, while she had to wait to be buzzed in. Oh brother....

This of course is where the "stupid" in "Dave did something stupid"
comes in. It allows any Tom Dick or Sally to claim a hostile work
environment with little or no evidence. For all I know Dave did create
a hostile work environment for Scoville - perhaps when she pitched
jokes for the monologue he looked at her and said "have you let me
screw yet? No? Then I think I will go with the joke Buffy told me in
the bathroom this morning". Perhaps. But nothing in this article
supports a claim of a hostile work environment, even if every specific
assertion of fact is true.