This is an example of where too much information causes confusion
rather than clarity. Had the writer gone with "Graves portrayed the
character Jim Phelps for six seasons on "Mission:Impossible" on CBS,
from 1967-1973", it would've been easier. Or if the writer had gone
with "Graves portrayed the character Jim Phelps for the six seasons
the character appeared on "Mission:Impossible". But that cut corner
made the sentence confusing.

The mark of a good editor isn't just what they cut, but what they don't.