On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:40 AM, JW <redbu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few things:
>
> -The play-by-play men I've seen on ABC are Martin Tyler and Ian Drake.
> This weekend, each called a game with Efan Ekoku, so they may all be
> in the broadcast centre rather than on-site.

I'm sure he's at the ground when he can be, but he might be centred
around one area, and use the broadcast centre when matches take place
too far away.

> -During Brazil-Ivory Coast, Tyler mentioned that they were at the
> mercy of the director while scoffing at an "artistic" shot.

In my view we have had a few too many super-slomo shots which
occassionally interrupt the actual action. The whole world is reliant
on the director's pictures. The French, for example, tend to like the
artistic shots more than others, and matches involving France may well
be directed by a French director.

> -ESPN will drop in a couple "Go to espn.com and vote for the Budweiser
> Man of the Match" promos during a game. I don't know if they're
> allowed to drop in sponsorships that conflict with the ads around the
> field.

FIFA has strict rules on sponsors, but that doesn't mean conflicting
ads aren't possible. In the UK, ITV's coverage is sponsored by Hyundai
- an official sponsor - and Lucosade Sport - a direct competitor of
official sponsor Powerade. But those credits are just break-bumpers
and not in-game.

Budweiser is, of course, an official sponsor.

> -Two yellow cards in a game become one red card. I got the impression
> that some number of yellow cards accumulated during the tournament
> (maybe even two) result in a one-game suspension, like accumulating
> technicals in the NBA.

Two yellow cards in one game equals a red. And that also results in a
one match ban. Similarly, a "straight" red card also results in a one
game ban. However, FIFA can decide that a red was awarded for violent
conduct and up the ban to a 2, 3 or even 4 match ban (essentially
preventing further participation in the tournament).

Two yellow cards in different games also accumulate to a one match
ban. However, FIFA has announced that the slate is wiped clean after
the quarter-finals to ensure that a single yellow in a semi-final
won't see that player miss the final. In 1990 England player Paul
"Gazza" Gascoigne picked up a yellow in the semi-final meaning he'd
miss the final (had England actually gone through - they didn't). He
was famously in tears on the pitch as he realised he'd miss out.

Of course, if you get a red card - either via two yellows or a
straight red - in a semi-final, you'll still miss the final.

Right - back to Portugal v N Korea...

Adam