On Oct 17, 9:57 pm, M-D November <mdnovem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For me, the biggest problem was the pacing, due in no small part to
> the presence of the audience in Studio 8H.  I'd have preferred they
> keep the house mics down except during the segments where TGS was 'on
> the air', but I imagine that'd be technically hard to do. (I'd have
> accepted no audience at all, and use of a laughtrack - but ONLY as the
> TGS audience.)  The studio audience, for me, killed the pace of the
> show - and on 30Rock, the pace can make or break a gag.
>
> The Dr. Spaceman/Drew commercials were a nice way of working in
> Parnell and Hamm without having to create a reason for them to be at
> 30Rock during the TGS taping, and the use of JLD in the cutaway
> ("Memory Liz" who has "Seinfeld money") was an inspired touch,
> especially after their Conan-spurred Emmy feud a few years back.
>
> I was also pleased with the use of Jack's sobriety to explain away the
> difference in the episode's look & feel ("Everything looks like a
> Mexican soap opera!" - I'd have loved to see him cameo as The
> Generalismo in a cutaway there); Fey & her writing staff have a knack
> for making even the most absurd thing fit in the show's slightly
> skewed universe.
>
> M-D
> How could they have a gag about 'breaking' and not include Jimmy
> Fallon in some capacity?
>
> On Oct 16, 8:51 pm, Michael <mikethekn...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Thanks to the "magic" of Hulu, I watched files of both broadcasts of
> > Thursday night's live ep of "30 Rock," back to back. Tighter direction
> > and camerawork on the second of the performances (the West Coast
> > take), a few jokes changed, and a couple of lines muffed (particularly
> > one smart gag flubbed by Tracy Morgan). Generally better for me, but
> > the East Coast version had its moments. Both were pretty entertaining.
> > Special guests Matt Damon and Jon Hamm - and a few SNL vets (Julia
> > Louis-Dreyfus, Rachel Dratch, Chris Parnell and Bill Hader) - were all
> > solid; and there was an interesting meta-text to the whole thing
> > regarding the style of a trad multi-camera sitcom vs. the usual single-
> > camera, tightly-edited "30 Rock." I'm a fan of the series, and thought
> > that, the excitement of the live experiment aside, it was a middling
> > effort, comedy-wise. Still, it was big fun, especially watching the
> > two variations. Kudos to everyone involved, with a special nod to
> > ultra-cool live-theater vet Jane Krakowski who hit her marks and
> > nailed every joke she was given.- Hide quoted text -

Someone on one message board insisted that the cutaways had to be pre-
taped because Fey was in them. I guess they couldn't tell the
difference between Fey and JLD. I guess Sarah Palin was
unavailable :)  I may be insane, but I think "The Cleveland Show"
nailed the 'live cut-away' gag a few weeks ago on their 'live'
episode.

Was the shaky-cam on the East Coast feed intentional? It was almost
like "The Blair Witch Project".

-Stan