To: <tvornottv@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:57 PM
Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] Watching television in Central Asia

Re-voicing bugs the hell out of me.

There were a couple cute Christmas specials a few years back.  Made in
the UK, with British voices.  Then shown in the US with American
voices.  Totally pointless.  Being in Canada, I was able to see/hear
the British version on Canadian tv, and the US version on the American
network.  Are there really that many Americans who have trouble with
British accents?  If so, why do they keep watching Hugh Grant?

Recently there's been a cereal commercial (and I'm drawing a blank
right on which brand), but in Canada, the two people have British
accents, and when you watch the commercial on an American station,
they have generic North American accents.  And unlike animated shows
or documentaries, these are actors on screen, and they still dub their
voices.

I'll admit, when I was younger, I sometimes had trouble with British
accents on shows like EastEnders, that my mom loves to watch.  But I
would never think to dub their voices.